George Brahm examines why the Christian atheist’s dialogue with...
As Sir Cliff celebrates his 80th birthday, we're remembering eight times the singer brought his faith to the fore during his glittering career
1. On his role as an ambassador for Christ:
“If I'm going to represent God I have to do it the best I can.”
2. On his clean cut image:
“I don't spit or swear or sleep around. I've always maintained I'm the most radical rock 'n' roll singer Britain has ever seen.”
3. Bringing out his inner evangelist:
“There is no better news, than the fact that Jesus can actually turn a life upside down and save it.”
4. On not caring what people think of him:
“What other people think of me is becoming less and less important; what they think of Jesus because of me is critical.”
5. On how he leans on God in troubled times:
"With God you don't have to express it. I believe he knows what you're feeling. He's going through what you're going through."
6. On how he has drawn closer to God through difficulties late in life:
"My faith is stronger than ever because I've had to rely on it in recent years much more than I've ever had to."
7. On facing false accusations and being able to turn to God:
“I often have asked myself, 'How would I have survived that had I been atheistic, how would I have survived if I believed there was no God."
8. On how he’s been able to forgive those who lied about him:
"I just said: 'God, I wanna forgive this guy,' so I said, 'yes, okay, I forgive him.' You know what? I felt such an ease. I forgave him and therefore I didn't feel any animosity anymore and even now I can't feel hate.”
Opinions on the latest trends, topics, news and culture from a Christian perspective.